What Are the IRS Requirements for Enrolled Agents?
The IRS requires 72 hours of Continuing Professional Education (CPE) every three years, with a minimum of 16 hours per year. At least 2 hours of CPE each year must be ethics coursework.  Here is a  breakdown:

  • 72 hours total per three years
  • 16 hours minimum per year
  • 2 hours of ethics per year

If you’ve become an Enrolled Agent for the first time in the middle of your three year renewal cycle, the IRS requires you to complete 2 hours of CPE for each month you’re enrolled prior to your next renewal, including 2 hours of ethics coursework per year.

Though they won’t ask you to provide CPE records up front, the IRS reserves the right to request proof you’ve earned the required credits at any time after your renewal. They recommend that you keep record of all completed CPE courses for up to four years. Lucky for you, CPElite keeps track of your credits for you. In fact, we’ll even send a digital record of your completed courses to the IRS so that you don’t have to. Yes, we make it easy.

IRS Renewal Schedule for Enrolled Agents
Enrolled Agents need to renew once every three years in order to maintain official status. Enrollment schedules are based on the last number of your social security number. Those with social security numbers ending in 4, 5 or 6 are assigned to renew between November 1, 2016 and January 31, 2017, and their enrollment cycle will officially begin on April 1st, 2017. Check out this chart:

SS# ending in...

Renewal Window

Cycle Begins

0, 1, 2, 3

Nov. 1, 2015 to Jan. 31, 2016

April 1, 2016

4, 5, 6

Nov. 1, 2016 to Jan. 31, 2017

April 1, 2017

7, 8, 9

Nov. 1, 2017 to Jan. 31, 2018

April 1, 2018

The easiest way to renew is online at Pay.gov by typing “8554” in the search box. Or, you may download, print off, and fill out a paper form of the 8554 by clicking here.

Make sure you have an active PTIN in order to renew your status as an Enrolled Agent.

PTIN Information for Enrolled Agents
The IRS requires all paid tax return preparers to obtain and renew annually a PTIN (preparer tax identification number). In other words, if you make money preparing taxes, you need a number, and you need to renew it every year.

Go to the official PTIN website to apply for or renew your PTIN with relative ease. The initial fee to obtain a PTIN is $64.25, and the annual renewal fee is $63. If you aren’t sure whether or not you need a PTIN--for instance, if you’re an office assistant to an Enrolled Agent--check out the IRS FAQ sheet for "Do I Need a PTIN?"

Why CPElite for Enrolled Agents?
We make it easy to get ahead. Our education packages are affordable and state-of-the-art, purposefully engineered to polish your tax prep skills in a way that’s quick, convenient, and effective. Learn more about our course bundles.