What Are the Continuing Education Requirements for Enrolled Agents?
- Obtain 72 hours every three years (based on your renewal cycle)
- Obtain a minimum of 16 hours per year (2 of which must be on ethics)
- Use an IRS approved continuing education provider
- Review the enrolled agent CE credit chart
- Review the Frequently Asked Questions
Here is a breakdown:
- 72 hours total per three years
- 16 hours minimum per year
- 2 hours of ethics per year
IRS Renewal Schedule for Enrolled Agents
Enrolled Agents need to renew once every three years in order to maintain official status. Enrollment schedules are based on the last number of your social security number.
Enrolled Agent Renewal
- Renewal cycle: every 3 years based on last digit of SSN. The November 1, 2017 - January 31, 2018 renewal cycle is for SSNs ending in 7, 8, or 9 (view Circular 230 Section 10.6(d) for details)
- Renew online at Pay.gov (put 8554 in the search box)
- Renew on paper using Form 8554
PTIN requirements for tax-return-preparers
The IRS reserves the right to request proof you’ve earned the required credits at any time after your renewal. They recommend that you keep record of all completed CPE courses for up to four years. Lucky for you, CPElite keeps track of your credits for you. In fact, we’ll even send a digital record of your completed courses to the IRS so that you don’t have to with a current PTIN. Yes, we make it easy.
PTIN Information for Enrolled Agents
The IRS requires all paid tax return preparers to obtain and renew annually a PTIN (preparer tax identification number). In other words, if you make money preparing taxes, you need a number, and you need to renew it every year.
- Renew your preparer tax identification number (PTIN) between October 16 – December 31 each year at /ptin
Why CPElite for Enrolled Agents?
We make it easy to get ahead. Our education packages are affordable and state-of-the-art, purposefully engineered to polish your tax prep skills in a way that’s quick, convenient, and effective. Learn more about our course bundles.